ChicagoWest / Southwest

‘Gold Coast amenities’ at 2620 W Washington St? That IS Bold.

by Joseph Askins on 12/9/10

Bold L&H Lofts, Chicago

“The building, which was built in 1926, is located directly in the path of progress,” says the website for Bold L&H Lofts. In the path? No wonder East Garfield Park is suffering! Get out of the way, and let that progress through!

I kid.

Sometime in the past couple of years, LK Growth and Bold Development adapted the six-story Lindemann & Hoverson warehouse at 2620 W Washington St into 68 lofts and retail space. The developers restored the building’s entrance and terra cotta-clad showroom, created new storefronts, installed new windows to match its old steel-sash windows, and repaired the brick and terra cotta exterior. They built a green roof and applied for LEED Silver certification (something the development has yet to receive, according to the US Green Building Council), had the building declared a Chicago Landmark in early 2009, and pulled in an award for preservation excellence from the city this year.

The developers describe the homes as “true industrial lofts” with new lighting, exposed brick, minimalist kitchens with maple cabinetry, custom-designed aluminum shelving, and granite countertops, and new white-tiled bathrooms. The building itself “offer(s) a multitude of Gold Coast amenities at a fraction of the cost,” including free Wi-Fi, two new elevators, a roof deck with community grill, private garden areas, and a dog run.

Rent started at $950, with in-unit laundry running an additional $55 and parking an additional $110. The last time Bold Development updated the project’s website, all but one of the units were under lease.

In our search for more information about the building, we came across a Facebook group created “to provide a central, accessible place for residents…to meet one another, and to voice concerns regarding the building, as well as the community.” Its wall reveals plenty about life in and around the lofts, from a laundry list of maintenance problems, to the realities of neighborhood crime. Some of the choice comments and questions are:

Hey, who stole my pumpkin? There were 4 outside my door on Saturday morning, but only 3 on Sunday night. They aren’t meant for taking.

Someone tried to steal my tire overnight, on Talman – just watch out. Check your tires before you drive!

Is it me or are the elevators getting darker as each light slowly goes out?

I haven’t been able to get a decent wireless connection in weeks.

My car was broken into last night on Campbell. I know there’s not a lot anyone can do about it, I mean that’s what you get for living in a crappy neighborhood…but just fyi.

Are people allowed to use their apartments for carpentry businesses or building boats? Just asking because that’s sure as hell what it sounds like the person who lives above me is doing every day, and if you can’t tell by the sarcasm on here, it’s REALLY annoying.

word is that Cory was robbed at gunpoint right outside the buidling in broad daylight! Another good reason to get the Hell out of that place.

Funny story; a cabbie once asked me “Are you SURE you want me to let you out here?” when he drove me to our building.

Jordan December 9, 2010 at 3:16 PM

I made the terribly unwise decision to move into this place when it first opened back at the end of May in 2009. The developers and management continually lied about building details in order to convince people to sign leases. What was supposed to be an enclosed, grassy rooftop dog run turned out to be some astroturf thrown over one side of the wooden deck, and secured by some extra cinderblocks. It smelled just fantastic in the summer, as you can imagine. The tile floors in the elevators were done so cheaply, that the tiles kept popping out every day. Developers solution? Why a piece of plywood placed overtop for months works just as well!

We were promised to have a divider installed separating the bed area from the rest of the loft, and after several promises and ignored requests, that never happened either. The pipes in the garage also leaked rusty water onto the cars, causing paint damage that the management refused to address.

All of that without getting into the personal safety issues of the surrounding area. Residents who parked their cars on the street habitually had them broken into, people were robbed in front of the building at gun point, and the empty lot east of the building was frequented by drug dealers and prostitutes.

The place was a hellish nightmare, and after 4 months there I gave up, broke my lease, and moved out. I implore anyone else that considers moving to Bold L&H because of what appears to be a good deal, to strongly reconsider. Lying and unresponsive management is bad enough, but the risk of bodily harm is not worth any discounts you might be given to live here.

Scott December 16, 2010 at 11:04 PM

I agree with Jordan. Many broken promises and maintenance that was lacking big time for nearly 8 months. Cars were broken into every week, smashed in windshields and yet with the “security system” in place there were never any arrests. Everything was sugar coated with BS. The developer believed so much in the building and neighborhood that he moved in. NOT! Thanks for posting, the place is a nightmare for anyone with pets. The area around the building is littered with trash and often street lights are out. Not a place to walk outside at dark alone…ever. Stay away from this building and Kass Management!

Mark December 20, 2010 at 9:32 AM

I live on the same block as this building. While I don’t have trouble believing the building itself isn’t as luxurious as described, I think the comments above vilifying the neighborhood are not completely accurate. No this is not Lincoln or Wicker Park; it’s not even East Humbolt Park level yet. But the amount of crime and the state of general safety in the area as described by comments above are overblown.

First of all, being right near Dodge Elementary school the area is very well lit and very well patrolled by the police.

Second, living in the area I monitor Chicago Crime website weekly and never once have I seen any robbery at gunpoint take place near this building. I haven’t seen robbery at gunpoint take place near Washington Blvd between Western and California EVER! Do car break-ins occur in the area? Yes, but not weekly as described above. But guess what — car theft/break-ins happen in every neighborhood. It comes with the risk of parking on the street. I’ve been parking my car on the street — sometimes on Talman even — for 2 years and have yet to see my car vandalized. This is anecdotal, yes, but with the proper precautions like keeping any valuables out of sight you can significantly reduce the risk of becoming a victim.

Don’t get me wrong — EGP has a lot of development to go to become a desirable neighborhood to live for any reason other than a central location within the city. But most of the bad crime stays west of Kedzie. And EGP is literally a walk in the park compared to West GP and parts of Lawndale.

Heather December 21, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I read this article last week when it was originally published and it hasn’t set well with me. While I do not live in the Bold L & H Lofts building, I am very familiar with it and live somewhat in the area—just over by the United Center. I have been very active in trying to improve the neighborhood—for instance, my husband and I, along with a core group of other community members lead the petition drive that got us the Pete’s Fresh Market full service grocery store that is coming to the corner of Madison and Western in 2011. I have frequently walked the 2620 Bold L&H Lofts building distributing flyers for various neighborhood events to encourage involvement. The owner has been gracious enough to host a couple of social mixers that brought other people from the neighborhood to the 2620 building to meet residents and mingle. He also personally connected me with some residents in the building that he knew were interested in gardening so that they could participate in some community gardens we developed just east of Western Ave. In my opinion, the owner cares very much about the building, its tenants, and is always looking to foster a sense of community with the residents of the building.

Having been both a renter and a landlord in the city for years, there’s no better deal out there price-wise for what you get—the amenities listed in this article are true—a true concrete loft building, a heated parking garage, free WIFI and killer views—plus the rooftop deck with a bar-b-que, café tables and a dog run. And from what I understand, the utilities are very low, as the building is built according to LEED specifications and is waiting certification.

It’s not a hidden fact that the neighborhood is going through redevelopment. That’s why the pricing is much better than the Gold Coast or other established areas. Parking in the Gold Coast is over $200 and Bold L&H is $110—and street parking is free. Is there crime? Yes—there is everywhere in the city. When I lived in a very nice area of Wrigleyville, I was mugged at gunpoint, had my apartment broken into and had my car broken into— so it’s everywhere. Like one of the other commenters mentioned—you have to be smart—don’t leave stuff in your car out in the open—don’t walk home by yourself from the EL at 2am— and if people in the building want the neighborhood to improve, then they need to get active and attend their local CAPS meetings if they don’t already. The cops need to hear your stories and complaints—you are the constant eyes and ears of what is happening around your building. They can put together a special sting operation if you want to end the prostitution that you are witnessing, drugs, etc. There is also a very tight Block Club on Maypole — I’ve bumped into the gentleman that organizes it when I was passing out flyers one day and I believe they have monthly events like game night or a dance. Getting to know neighbors cuts your risks for being a victim of crime significantly. People can also get involved with the Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance that heads up the East Garfield Park New Communities Program and Quality of Life Plan: http://www.garfieldconservatory.org/new_communities.htm
Over here by the United Center we are constantly faced with similar safety and quality of life issues—but as we’ve learned, sticking to yourself and just complaining about it doesn’t get anything accomplished. Once we became active in our community and got to know people, the area GREATLY improved. Regarding trash around the building— make sure the area gets on the next clean and green for the ward—call the alderman’s office and complain. Request that L & H or Kass gets some permanent garbage cans from the city for in front of/ around the building (the kind that are bolted to the sidewalk).

As far as the quality issues inside the building, again, I don’t live in the building, but I would assume that a lot of those kinks have been worked out. After all, the building is BRAND NEW and with new construction it takes time to make corrections. I noticed on the Facebook page that mostly all of the complaints were posted in 2009 regarding quality issues about the building. For instance… the elevator floors situation— apparently, the elevators’ floor tiles had very expensive glass tile that was installed incorrectly and since then, new porcelain tiles were installed. Wood was put on the floor due to move-ins and due to construction to finish the project. The dog run situation that Jordan describes is not the dog run that I’ve seen– it is now a fenced off area on the roof and it has been totally improved. The fact the building stays full says many residents like the building.

From what I know of my interactions with the owner and Kass Management, they care very much about the residents—even the owner walks the building and asks if residents are happy and what can be done to make the building an even better place to live. If the owner ever found out a resident was this unhappy he would correct it right away. Kass tries to provide great service, and things do happen sometimes— residents can always reach the owner at info@2620lofts.com. Believe me, Bold L&H management and ownership want residents to be happy!!!! Otherwise, they’d be sitting with empty units and losing valuable rent!

Joe Zekas December 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM

For a purported outsider, Heather, you do a great job of coming across as someone who works for the owner or manager of this building.

Heather December 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Joe, I assure you– I do not work for the owner of this building, or the management company—nor do I work in the real estate industry period— the only real estate interest I have is the roof over my head. As I clearly stated in my comment, I am friendly with the owner after I initially approached him (literally cold-called him) to host a community social mixer. I have been on multiple tours of the building over the past two years and have seen improvements with my own eyes–i.e. the elevator floors, the rooftop garden and the dog run. Not only have I toured the building with the owner and heard his ideas for plans, improvements and the sheer pride he has in the building, but I have also experienced his commitment to make sure that tenants are happy and feel a sense of community. He did not have to open up his building to host events in which all of his tenants were invited (we also distributed flyers in the building to invite tenants to other events taking place in the neighborhood, upon the owner’s request to keep them involved). I also attended a social event for the tenants in which the owner was encouraging feedback from tenants and he even got Alderman Fioretti to come and listen to tenants’ concerns, answer questions and provide neighborhood updates. Very rarely do building owners of rental properties show this much interest.

Therefore, Joe, when I read the article, I felt the need to stick up for this owner and the building, and I found it to be pretty irresponsible that the author of this article chose to focus on comments from a FaceBook page that are outdated, rather than taking the time to actually interview any of the current tenants.

One more thing— if you notice, majority of my comment was focused on improving the neighborhood and concrete resources/ ideas for people as to how to do so. Speaking as a resident of a simliar “developing” area that is plagued by many of the same issues, it frustrates me when people sit around and belly ache about it, but never do anything. No owner of any building is going to wave a magic wand and make all of the social ills of the neighborhood disappear. It is up to the residents of the community and there’s power in numbers. When I moved over to the United Center area in 2007, I would hear gunshots at night when I took my dog out, had drug dealers and gang members CONSTANTLY camping out on my corner and across the street and hookers turning tricks in a vacant piece land two doors down. Guess what? While things aren’t all peachy, I don’t have drug dealers setting up camp on my corner anymore–got the vacant lot fenced in so that it isn’t a hang out for hookers, and by doing other things to keep the neighborhood clean, building a community garden, etc. it’s not as fun for the gun wielding gang bangers to hang out in droves in the local park. And this all happened by joining forces with other neighbors and getting our voices heard by the police, our Alderman and showing our commitment so that they had to follow through on our complaints/ requests. People have to show up!

Just as, if residents of 2620 are not happy with something about the building, then they need to contact the owner to get resolution.

Joe Zekas December 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Heather,

I’m curious as to why you use one name / e-mail address here, and another in the Facebook Group?

Heather December 22, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Umm, Joe, not that I owe you an explanation, but I do not go under my real name online due to safety issues. Why do you care? Please don’t answer that, because I don’t really care what you think. Forgive me for concentrating on the real issues regarding this article, rather than your concern about what “handle” I’m using. I’m certainly not the first person on the Internet to use multiple aliases to protect my identity for safety reasons.Good Bye.

Joe Zekas December 23, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Heather,

My concern over your identity is obvious.

When someone violates Facebook’s Terms of Service and lies about their identity, as you’ve just said you do, and has multiple online identities, there’s good cause to question their motives.

My guess is that your “safety” concerns revolve around being safe from FTC fines for fraudulent endorsements.

Tanya February 19, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I think that the developers did a GREAT job with this buliding from what I have seen on the pictures I would’nt mine moving into one of these unit these is an up and coming area that will grow rapidly GOOD JOB!!!!!

C March 4, 2011 at 7:07 PM

Now let’s get an update for someone who lives in the building- I do not know “Heather” but she is right and I can tell she has met Larry by what she is saying. Yes, there have been a few things wrong, but it is a NEW renovated building like someone said and there are always going to be issues. If you have concerns, express it to Larry and he will try to improve what you ask. I can tell his heart and his soul goes into this building to the point where he is even having an office built for him just so he can spend a couple of hours a day during the week in the building incase anybody wants to talk to him and express concerns. 68 units in the building…how often can you say most renters have a relationship with the owner, let alone see him/meet him on a regular basis. Not very often. There is not one safe place in a city. I am a female and have to take my dog outside when not using the dog run and I feel safe, but you always need to watch your back no matter where you are. I am on my A-game when I go out there, but it does make me feel better knowing there are schools surrounding. I always see neighborhood kids outside playing. Everyone is really friendly and kind in and around the building. Only crime I saw were a few guys trying to break in to the trains sitting on the tracks. Cops were called immediately and I saw them show up in a few minutes and search the area. There are always cops rolling around here. Saw a car parked in front of the train tracks one night too and a cop pulled up behind them within a few minutes, searched them and told them to leave the area. There are always cops sitting by the train tracks above as well. I feel renters are always going to have something to complain about. Go buy a house than and pay to have someone constantly fix the shit that goes wrong. I think Kass Management and Larry are very nice and understanding people. They will try to accommodate any needs you have. I enjoy living in L&H Bold. I think it’s a great building and is constantly improving.

Joe Zekas March 4, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Why do so many of the commenters on this post sound inauthentic?

Since you’re such a booster, C, I’m inviting you to show me around the building on a video tour, and ask directions to the building.

Correct me if I’m wrong by taking me up on my offer.

The skeptic in me says you’d have to borrow a dog or the occasion.

M. March 13, 2011 at 4:27 AM

I’ve been here since the opening of the building and besides having my spare tire stolen the first 6 months I was here, I haven’t had a problem at all. Like some of the posts say you have to be smart living in the city, no matter where you live. Its new and it will take time for things to happen here (and it has). Yes, there are a few locals who are threatened and may have a problem with the people in the building but if you speak to some of them when you see them instead of ignore or stick your nose up like your better than them, then yes, you will have problems no matter where you live. Some people are not comfortable living around certain people (Joe) so they automatically say negative things about neighborhoods. There is crime everywhere and people need to understand that. If you make yourself a target, then you will be one. this is the price of city living and no I haven’t lived my whole life in the city. I’m from the ‘burbs. Is that authentic enough Joe?

Joe Zekas March 13, 2011 at 9:57 AM

M. and C have the same IP address, and I’ll give odds that they’re the same liar.

Do you people not realize that what you’re apparently doing is illegal – and that it is a big honking warning flag that scares people away from your building even more than the neighborhood does?

M. March 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Hey dumbass. Same IP address is because we live in this building. We use the same free wifi service that the building provides. If you spent less time checking IP addresses and more time on actually getting facts on whats going on over here then maybe you might be a more credible person. Come over and I will give you that tour you asked C for.

M. March 13, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Joe,
You’re trying to tear down the good someone (besides you) is trying to do for the city of Chicago. Turn your attention to something more positive and from what I gather, you don’t live in the building or in the area. If you are not helping, then you are the problem.

Joe Zekas March 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Well, M., I’m always up for meeting classy folk like you.

You can leave me a voice mail at 312-280-9780 x 100 with your correct name and return number to make arrangements to meet me at the building.

Anyone taking bets on whether M. will follow through and prove to be an actua resident of the building unrelated to ownership?

M. March 13, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Joe,
I’m in 405. I’m here til 2p Monday-Friday and I can show you how classy we are. Let’s see if you’re up to it. Better yet, you can come today. I will be here all day. Take time out of my off day to show you around. Let’s see if your talk is real. 708-432-6718 and leave a message. Peace.

Joe Zekas March 13, 2011 at 3:50 PM

M.,

Per our phone conversation I’m looking forward to meeting you at the building Wednesday at 10.

Danielle March 20, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Any updates in your visit?

Joe Zekas March 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM

M. left a voice mail cancelling our scheduled visit.

dby April 9, 2011 at 4:43 AM

lol, you people are HILARIOUS!!! this is better than reality tv, probably because it’s reality! i, too, am moving into the united center area in a few weeks, and am looking forward to the funny & lively debates between joe, m, c, etc – let’s keep one thing in mind – we have to work together to build the neighborhood up by working together, not by discouraging other from joining and helping buildup a neighborhood you’ve already invested in; it’s counter productive, and will only have a negative impact on all our property values. less threatening posts, more neighborhood involvement (you know who you are…).

Joe Zekas April 9, 2011 at 11:29 AM

dby,

Not very many renters who expected the great neighborhood a Web site promised want to spend their time building up the neighborhood their landlord actually delivered. It’s HILARIOUS to think that many of them will.

Why do you sound so much like the same promoter we’ve seen above?

Marco December 6, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I know that this is a rather old thread but I came across it because I’ve been researching 2620 Lofts since my girlfriend and I are looking to move into a new place in Jan 2013.

After reading all of this, we are ruling this place out. We have been trying to set up a showing for the past week after seeing a listing on Craigslist. In our experience, setting up a showing for a place has usually been an almost effortless experience but our contact here has continually traded emails with us and promised to call us and has not followed through.

Our contacts name….Heather. Just saying…

nerak January 1, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I am looking for an apartment in this price range (1-2 bdrms). If anyone does’t like the area ,I’ll take over the lease in early 2013. Heather , if you have any thing available around United Cntr., please let me know . I grew up on the westside. This is a legitimate request.

Alisa April 19, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I have left at least 5 messages for both Heather (email AND phone) and also the building management with no communication back. I would have loved to have rented one of these units for June, but it’s been 2 weeks without a peep. That doesn’t bode well for what it would be like if you actually needed maintenance or assistance once in the building. After reading these reviews, I am not surprised. Just a warning that the customer service seems to be pretty bad. A shame, because I really did want to rent a unit.

Christine September 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Nobody should live in this building if Larry is still running it and do not let Heather fool you.

Although the units are plain and awesome, Larry himself is a nightmare and so is the neighborhood. Everyone that lived in the building was wonderful and chill, however everyone lurking outside the building was a bit questionable. It was a diamond in the ruff until Larry fired Kass Management, built himself an office and practically moved into the building. There he was was…every night, sitting in his office right next to the entrance and mailroom. Always wanting to chat and “improve” the building.

Larry your ideas suck. Putting that huge 50 foot piece of junk art up was one of your biggest. Than going to iKea and purchasing every ugly painting they sell and hanging them up on each floor. The signs you type up and tape everywhere that are misspelled. The dog run that still has not been executed. It was painted one summer and than that it started peeling off into chunks like glue on skin.

Cameras are EVERYWHERE and Larry creepily watches them in his office and sitting at home from his iPad. Yet nothing happens when all your christmas gifts keep disappearing from the mailroom or when your packages are left outside for the man rolling a grocery card filled with wood gets to take them. Many people who park outside get their windows popped on a weekly basis. Every year he jacks up the parking or says “he is giving you a deal”.

Everyone living in the building has their own jacked up price they pay. Many people and their dogs have been held a gunpoint for their bags in which Larry does not mention to anyone for their safety.

He has created the tackiest “JAM ROOM” in what use to be a very nice lobby. Beautiful windows are now draped with oversized ugly red curtains that were probably left behind from a previous tenant. Oh wait.. .everything located in the JAM ROOM IS LEFT FROM PREVIOUS OWNERS!

Even the people that work for him do not have good things to say about Larry. Owning/Managing and being a landlord just isn’t Larry’s thing and so for that do not move into this building.

Units do not start at $950 and if they do, you are in a shittier loft facing the West side with no views but broken down buildings and a parking lot. Occasionally… the ice cream truck man is there. Facing the city…what a gorgeous view! Not if you’re on the third floor…all you get to see is the choo choo train that passes your window 50 times a day. And just wait for night time…you will actually feel like the train is in your loft.

The windows open are a joke if that train is coming by. They will lie to you and tell you it only comes by every so often. I have counted 35 times in a night. It keeps you up at night but at least you will get to hear a few gunshots with cars speeding off, or people breaking thru the brand new barbwire chainlink fence the city put up to keep people from breaking into the trains. Yea, didn’t work.

Jeff October 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I can’t say much about the building other than tenants I have met while walking my dog have been very friendly.

As for complaints of the neighborhood I have lived just a few houses down for 12 years. I have never had anything happen to me, friends or visitors.

Unlike most people in the city I have lived in 35 of the cities neighborhoods. I can say this area looks rough but statistically isn’t any worse off for crime compared to most of the city. I lived in Lakeview for 3 years a block from Wrigley. I literally had someone break into my moving truck which was locked in broad day light. I’ve never had that happen anywhere else. My wife has had 2 cars stolen. One in Lakeview and the other in Roscoe Village. No where else has she had this happen.

As for fear of the area, I can’t help but think what makes people around here appear sketchy has more to do with skin color than actual threats.

Brad January 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Yes, the neighborhood is rough but there are other, more important reasons to stay away from this place.
Unfortunately I think people see the lofts and are impressed to the point where they don’t think about what they’re really signing up for. Dealing with Larry is an absolute nightmare. His greed and malevolence are simply unmatched, and really come to light when you choose to leave. We lived at the building for 2 years and paid all 24 rent payments on time, did our best to follow all of Larry’s rules posted throughout the building, and left our unit in excellent shape. We were even described by members of his staff as being “perfect tenants.” And now, 7 months after moving out, without any contact from Larry, we are receiving collection notices.

Please, PLEASE reconsider living here. The problems with the horrendous management on the part of Larry more than outweigh any safety issues with the neighborhood.

Kevin January 25, 2014 at 7:02 PM

I have to say that Brad’s post (above) is almost identical to what my girlfriend and I experienced.

I saw the listing on Craigslist back in 2011. Getting a showing wasn’t difficult, but during the initial meeting I noticed differences between what the website said and what I was being told. For example, the cost of parking in the garage was grossly misrepresented, but I chalked it up to a typo and moved on.

The first night after I moved in I realized how much sound carried in the building. My next door neighbor’s bass blasted until almost 3am and became a semi-regular occurrence until the guy moved out about 8 months later.

Larry’s typo-ridden postings that appeared around the building were funny for the most part–the man’s grammar and spelling are almost inconceivably awful. In retrospect it’s frightening how someone who can’t comprehend basic sentence structure be allowed to manage a building and tenants.

I never had a late payment, I followed the building’s myriad rules, even allowed myself to get pulled into conversations with Larry in his office. He liked to frequent the first floor office and watch people come and go. It’s impossible to get past the door without him seeing you…though most of the time I tried to hurry past and would pray he wouldn’t have time to call out and lasso me in. It didn’t always work :(

I didn’t hate Larry at the time. I just found him, his arbitrary rules, and his nickel-and-dime tactics obnoxious. He charged for almost anything he could (storage units, bike racks, excessive trash disposal), but never followed through on his promises to refund people when the dryers were broken or when the WiFi was constantly going out.

After two years, it was time to move on (he was increasing the rent for the second time). He asked us to move out five days before the lease ended so that he could have time to turn it over for the next person to move in before the end of the month. We agreed but asked to be credited for the days after we moved out. He never responded to our e-mail and made himself scarce. We were never compensated. We moved out at the end of May 2013.

In JANUARY 2014, both my girlfriend and I received separate collection notices. We hadn’t so much as heard from Larry in the last 8 months, and suddenly he was charging us over $2,000 for “damages”, “excessive cleaning”, and having left a “very messy unit.” We sent him an e-mail asking for an explanation and he sent back an invoice listing things like “lightbulb replacement” and “management oversight.” His e-mail also stated that he wouldn’t report us if we agreed to pay up by the end of the month. Suffice to say, we’re really upset.

The lofts themselves are very cool. The neighborhood is not bad (although my car had its catalytic converter stolen one night while parked outside the building. In retrospect, I half suspect Larry, who was always trying to convince me to pay for garage privileges as opposed to free street parking). Heather, his sales associate, is a total space cadet and no help. Larry himself is everything he’s already been described: creepy, greedy, and malevolent. I’ve never in my life had an issue with a landlord before or since him.

I’d like to second Brad’s sentiment. PLEASE reconsider living here. It’s not worth it.

jim ruggerio February 9, 2014 at 9:09 AM

2620 is an absolute nightmare!! Stay away. The last straw was having my car stolen under the street light smack dab at the intersection of Talman and Maypole. 2620 ground zero. Oh, the police did find it, stripped and gutted 4 blocks away. The neighborhood is NOT SAFE by any means. Parcels left outside the building are routinely stolen, purported security cameras surrounding the building are non existent, and having beer bottles thrown at me as I walked to my car isn’t my idea of a good time. Stroll the neighborhood on a summer night..FORGET IT unless you consider yourself Charles Bronson in Death Wish. Even he’d be scared.

Larry's Worst Nightmare April 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM

DO NOT RENT IN THIS BUILDING!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT RENT IN THIS BUILDING……………..

We were in a hurry to rent since our home sold, and we lived out of state. I had 2 days to find something originally I had a week but my grandmother died and my time for apartment shopping was cut short. I knew the neighborhood was bad being a retired Chicago Police Officer. The outside cretins don’t hold a candle to Larry and his malevolence. When signing my lease I paid Larry 6 months rent upfront IN CASH. He told me my math was wrong which it wasn’t, his math was self serving to HIM and tried to get another $500 out of me. My bestfriend happens to be the CFO for one the cities biggest colleges and corrected him. I should have just walked right there and then.

Let’s get to the issues in the building

1- The laundry room…. Alot of people don’t understand that commercial machines have a heat control on the dryers. The dryers were set on the lowest setting, so you had to pay DOUBLE to get a regular load dry. Nickel and diming right down to the dryers. You could try and tell Larry about it and he had his pat answer, “I’m working on it” Never happened. I finally took my laundry to the ghetto laundry a block away and had them do it for me (they also do pick ups and drops off for free) and it cost me HALF the price. Renting his washer and dryers for your unit is a rip off. $55 for MAYBE $15 of laundry a month and you are paying the electric as well to run them. Nice try Larry. Also the utility room where the washer and dryers were is extra storage if you chose not to be ripped off and rent from Larry. OF COURSE like the Nelly, overbearing grandmother he is, he gets his measuring tape out to make sure you are 2 feet away from the heat and hot water elements.

2- The mail room is a NIGHTMARE…… Packages upon packages constantly stolen. How could that be when Larry was sitting in his Office like the WARDEN in a prison watching everyones move??? And YES he was constantly watching the camera’s remotely from everywhere he was. Home, on his boat, in his car. I loved giving him the finger on camera. He didn’t care about the thefts, all he cared about was trying to see if there was an infraction that possibly a tenant did, like park in the wrong parking spot. Or leave the garage door open moving out….He would try and fine you for any little thing.

3- Elevators, it was like a romantic interlude riding them, light bulbs went out and the elevators got dimmer and dimmer. No replacement bulbs. Dog feces on the elevator floors not mopped up. To hide the smell of the feces he put air freshener’s above where the light bulbs were out and yet never got around to replacing the bulbs.

4- Garage…….. FILTHY…… Whatever crap he sprayed on the ceilings for insulation sucked. Your car was filthy a day after you washed it….. PUDDLES or should I say small lakes all over the place. And no this wasn’t from cars coming in with snow on them. Drips from the ceiling hitting your car and paint. It was from the leaking ceilings and windows. I once received a notice to move my 2 cars and motorcycle because they were pressure washing the floors…. RIGHT…. I moved my cars and did a little TEST….. I put a little chalk mark on the ground… Gee whiz, that little white line was still there and nothing was pressure washed. Larry changed out some of the windows in the garage because of the leaks….. The morons he hired decided that trunk of my Mercedes as well as the tour pack and seat on my motorcycle was a great place to put their supplies on!!! And they left them there and I have pics to prove it. The garage has NO camera’s in it at all. Personal safety in a darkly lit garage????? People sneaking in the building, guests of some undesirables wanting to possible rape, rob or murder someone?? Larry doesn’t care. he parks his Porsche and surf board in a locked area in the garage, the rest of the peasants are on their own. Bikes were getting stolen, vehicles broken into…. SO SORRY no camera’s in the garage, you were shit out of luck.

5- Rugs in the hallways…….. FILTHY FILTHY FILTHY…… Dog piss all over them. I lived there for 2 years and once they steamed cleaned them.

6- NOISE………. Boy oh boy I knew everything that was going on in the building because the drain pipes that drain the water off the roof were not insulated, nor had caps attached to the holes in the ceiling and floors. I could hear above and below me from many different floors and apartments Walls are paper thin, I could hear the amorous sex from 2 apartments that adjoined me. Who needs Red Tube when I could live vicariously through my neighbors!!!! I asked Larry to insulate the pipes for 2 reasons. 1 because of the noise, and 2 because water was running down the pipe and leaking on the floor. Larry was so concerned about his precious building in 2 years those pipes NEVER got insulated. The train, forgetaboutit……. Larry told me his windows were so tight that you wouldn’t notice the train, or should I say TRAINS, plural. You have the EL on Lake St and the freight train that runs all day and night underneath your windows. That was a LIE… Not only did you hear them constantly you felt them when it rocked your dishes in the sink. And those sound windows, weren’t so sound. Many apartments had the windows replaced!!!

6- The Deck…….. Very interesting experience up there …. When we first moved in, we ASKED permission to put our smoker/grill on the deck. We like to smoke ribs etc…. Larry was all for it!!!! To the point when his mother, father, sister and cousin came in from New York he asked my husband to smoke ribs for his family as a surprise dinner. I have pictures from that evening with Larry standing over the grill and smoking the ribs….. We also told Larry that we would leave the smoker/grill up there for other tenants to enjoy. He was even more thrilled. Now get this…… My husband and I went through a year separation, where I only lived in the loft. All of a sudden my smoker/grill was moved right next to the dog run. NICE. Like I wanted flies landing on the grill after they were just feasting on the dog shit in the dog run…. Then I was told that it was the buildings grill and not my grill anymore. I was told no open flame on the deck it was a hazard. It sure was OK when we were doing you favors and cooking for you, your family and tenants. You even asked us to give classes on smoking meat on the deck for a “building get together” THEN the grill disappeared all together….. Larry admitted he had the grill. I demanded it to be returned to the deck. he said he would. NEVER happened. Larry you moron, I’m a cop. I found the grill where you hid it and took pics of it dated with a newspaper of that day sitting on top of it. YOU LIED AND STOLE MY GRILL.

Also on any summer holiday it seemed the whole westside of Chicago was partying on the rooftop deck. Fireworks being shot off the deck, people puking from too much to drink and the out and out pot smoking when there are children up there on the 4th of July, Memorial Day, Labor Day. Larry was nowhere to be found. Well that’s not true. He was on his boat not giving a crap if the building burned down.

7- Minimal amenities… Yes it is a modern loft, but if you are lucky you get one cabinet in the kitchen. Minimal means Larry is CHEAP….. My husband and I designed a very cool pot rack to hang from the ceiling. OF COURSE we ran this whole thing by Larry. We showed him the design and how it would be done. He LOVED the idea. He asked that when we moved out that we leave it there. That was fine. He also asked that we used his handyman Peter to install it. Which we did. Larry came up about a week after it was installed and LOVED IT!!!! We also asked permission to install a real medicine cabinet in the bathroom instead of a $2 mirror that hung on the wall. He was all good with that just as long as we left it.. We did ….. I am an art collector and my home is furnished with very expensive antiques. Larry even wanted to photograph my loft, furnishings for his website. NOPE not happening…. I asked Larry if I could hang some of my art on the walls. 2 Bedroom apartment total holes in the wall 11 from hanging paintings. Larry again had us use his handyman to hang them. Industrial anchors set in the walls at Larry’s insistence. DONE…. We did and paid the handyman even though we were quite capable of hanging our own art. By this time we knew he was nelly monster landlord from hell and made sure everything we did was OVERLY by the book.

8- SOME tenants. I guess when the lofts first opened he wanted them filled and occupied. Who wouldn’t?? Larry wasn’t too picky about who he rented too. He was taking in alot of undesirables. One guy across the hall from me I called “weed man”. He was selling dope out of his apartment. I spoke to Larry about that. Nothing happened. The halls wreaked of weed as well as the elevators day and night.

9- Larry’s stupid petty notices. They were EVERYWHERE. The warden was bringing down the hammer YET AGAIN for his benefit not for the tenants benefit. The misspellings were truly comical. People were Xing out his misspelling and correcting him and leaving little notes on his signs. I am sure that pissed him off.

10- Moving in ~vs~ moving out. Moving in he sure made it easy!!!!!! Moving out not so much…. Larry sat infront of his camera’s somewhere in some cave and watched every single thing we did throughout the move out. There were 6 of us moving everything. He was ringing my husbands phone off the wall throughout the move, threatening that the door was left unattended for 3 seconds, blah blah blah blah blah. He was RINGING the phones off the hook. Nit picking nelly grandmother doesn’t begin to explain it. He then said he was driving to the building while we were moving out…. I said OK LARRY BRING IT…… Guess who never showed up???? I called dear old Larry after the trucks were loaded. The apartment was left in better condition then I moved in including all the extra’s I paid for and paid to have installed and left. I took photo’s of EVERYTHING after the furniture was moved out. The apartment was spick and span, to the point I left the next tenant new towels, a new shower curtain and liner, soap, shampoo and conditioner. I know what it is like to move and you can’t find anything to take a hot shower after moving all day. I had a gut feeling Larry was going to try and nickel and dime me yet again for something in the apartment. document document document. And I did. I call Mr. Nelly and laid into him. His ears must still hurt, with a serious case of butt hurt to go with it. He was a mouse to say the least.

11- It is obvious Larry will try and squeeze a nickel until the buffalo shits. The hilarity of this was, he would yet again put up his ridiculous signs and say the building was doing a tenant get together. His idea of a tenant get together was getting the tenants to do work for him for free. A tree planting day!!!!!! Gee Larry sure I want to go out in the heat, dig holes for you and plant tree’s you cheap bastard. What do I look like Jesus Lopez from Lopez Brothers gardening and maintenance??? FOOL

**************************************
When there was crime, like cars being broken into stolen right infront of the camera’s he was less then helpful. People were being robbed, guns pointed in their faces, beaten right infront of the camera’s at the front door, people chased down the block and he didn’t lift a finger. It was a bother to Larry to pull the films and give them to the tenants so they could have them when they filed a police report.

Larry didn’t think the tenants mingled. So he set up mingles or socials ….. How did those work out for you Larry?? LOL Larry we mingled just not with YOU. Everyone knew your game. No one wanted anything to do with you. The tenants spoke amongst themselves. We were all amazed at who you raised the rent on and who you didn’t . How you bumped up some peoples parking spots and some never had a bump in price.

I mentioned since I am retired and thought I would start a little dog walking business in the building would be good, because I carry a gun and I have protection from my former CPD Officers…. Larry gets wind and then wanted to start up a dog walking service in the building and I would be his employee…. Nope, not happening.

the last 9 months of my lease I was home on average 3 days a MONTH. I traveled the rest of the time. He broke his own rules. 24 hour notice in entering my apartment Larry? Larry did you ever hear of NANNY CAMS???? Sure you do Larry you have the building NANNY CAMS… Busted Larry. You and your workers entered my place several times without my permission or notice.

I see the gentlemen posting above about Larry trying to drag you men into his office for a “chat”. Gee all the women I know that lived in the building had the opposite experience. He could barely stomach the women tenants in the building.

Larry professes that he loves his tenants and cares about them. One tenant in a wheelchair DIED in his bed and it took a tenant on the floor to report the foul odor coming from the apartment for several days. The tenant who died was an original tenant as well. He was a staple in the building and everyone loved him. He was in a wheelchair. People were scared, a dead body, was it murder, foul play, who was it etc… Larry didn’t even have the decency to post an RIP notice where he usually hangs his inane annoying ridiculously stupid signs. All Larry cared about was opening every door window etc… to get the smell out and keep the death a secret. Bad form Larry, bad form.

Lastly… I was a model tenant. No parties, no loud music, (although he accused me of it) he even came up to my apartment twice because he said he had a complaint about a party and loud noises coming from my place. He snooped around like my mother looking to catch me dirty. I wasn’t even HOME that night before. My luggage was still in the kitchen. I never used my stereo, I have blue tooth head phones for my computer so not to annoy anyone in the building. I picked them up and asked him if he wanted to take a listen… hahahahaha It seems he enjoyed my husbands company to mine and thought he was giving me payback for my separation.

I informed Larry 6 months before my lease was up that I was not renewing. I asked him to show my apartment… I wasn’t living there any longer, my belongs and cars and motorcycle was just there. Wouldn’t you know it, the apartment wasn’t shown until 2 months before the lease was up and it was leased the day after I moved out. It was never put up on the website or on Craigslist that it was available. I told him I just need 2 days before he rents it to get moved. NOPE he didn’t lift a finger to rent it.

As stated above by many former tenants, 8 months after moving out I get the same COLLECTION NOTICE stating I owe Larry $1100 with NO REASON stated on the notice. I called the collection agency. They were scratching their heads as well.

Larry has done this to at least 4 tenants I know of, plus those of you above now. The people I know that he did this too were great tenants. People you WANT to rent to. He again is trying to rip you off. Larry you better know the LAW before you pull a slimy move like that. These LAWS are made to protect us from people like YOU!!!! I documented every single last thing when dealing with you. Photo’s, emails, my nanny cam. The collection agency was more then helpful with dealing with me on how to deal with Larry. Seems Larry is trying to be a frequent flyer with the collection agency and this collection agency knows Larry is bogus and is sick of good people like me calling up irate. My phone number hasn’t changed, my email hasn’t changed and other people that Larry knows, knew exactly how to reach me. When Larry wanted something or needed something he sure knew how to contact me then. What happened Larry, you try and be a bully but don’t have the balls to do your own dirty work???? Chicken…..

At the bottom of the collections notice it read, “contact the person who is trying to collect”. I did that. 2 phone calls and an email from my husband. NO REPLY from Larry. Color me surprised!!! NOT

And please do not blame this on Heather. She does EVERYTHING possible to keep that building together. Larry puts the whole buildings responsibility on her. I wouldn’t want her job in a million years.

I know of others who have either moved or are intending to move at the end of their lease. I told them to do a walk through of the apartment WITH Larry. Don’t move out until he does the walk through with you. Film it. Have a document prepared that the apartment is up to snuff with his signature on it. So he doesn’t try to come back at you and rip off another old tenant as he tried to do with so many others. Take pictures, cover your ass, because Larry is trying to pad his bank book with this bogus crap. The collection he TRIED to get out of me he LOST. I am surely hope none of you above paid him. If so, go back and sue him. Even better lets all sue him, there are several things he can be sued for.

Even though the neighborhood sucks, the apartments are nice. Now if only someone would buy Larry out. The list I put up about the building can almost be over looked. It is Larry who is ruining this building. He is an overbearing, obnoxious, arrogant NELLY.

now concerned April 16, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I currently live in this building, and this is amazing to read so many people have this in common after moving out. We also got a letter from a former tenant warning us. I wanted to thank whoever sent that and the people here who have shared their story.