ChicagoDowntown / Loop

Introducing Sky Life in River North

by mark boyer on 4/14/09

Sky Life, 925 N Larrabee St, River North, Chicago

In some cases, the name “Sky Life” might indicate the height of a high-rise, but in the case of the six-flat at 925 N Larrabee St, it refers instead to the skyline views, which are admittedly pretty impressive. Sky Life is the building with the blue windows that’s at left in the photo at the top of this post. The other building, which appears to still be under construction, is a separate development.

According to Staci Slattery from North Clybourn Group, the developer plans to live in one of the top-floor units, so five of the six three-bedroom / two-bath condos in the development are currently available. The homes each have 2,200 square feet of living space, private elevator access, and they all come with at least one garage parking space.

The four second- and third-story condos are all priced in the $690s, and the one available top-floor unit is priced in the $790s. According to Slattery, the second-floor units have access to a large outdoor terrace above the parking space. The top-floor units have private roof decks, and the third-floor homes have more modestly-sized balconies in the rear.

Slattery says all of the homes can be ready for delivery in 60 to 75 days. Below are some photos of the furnished model that Slattery emailed.

NewHomeNotebook:
Rate and review Sky Life

Sky Life, 925 N Larrabee St, River North, Chicago Sky Life, 925 N Larrabee St, River North, Chicago

Sky Life, 925 N Larrabee St, River North, Chicago

Stokes April 14, 2009 at 3:40 PM

They are really great. Wonder if the views are secured to the east if the low rise, low income stuff comes down…

yoho April 14, 2009 at 4:39 PM

nice units.

the urban politician April 14, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Here we go again with all these 3 bedroom condos!

Dad: Junior?
Son: Yes, Pappy
Dad: Get your sister and grandma, we all are moving to downtown Chicago!
Son: Yippidy yeah, Pappy! I can’t wait to make all new friends with all them kids next door! Can I have pony, too?
Dad: Sure, son

Get real. Since when was the major demographic downtown NOT singles, couples, and perhaps small families? 3 bedrooms are a waste of space. Here’s hoping that they’re being rented out to large groups of people.

Joe Zekas April 14, 2009 at 10:10 PM

tup,

I live alone, at the moment, in a 3-bedroom home, as do many of my neighbors. Last week I had lunch with an old friend who lives alone in a 3-bedroom apartment in the city. I know people who live in 3-bedroom condos and have his and hers offices. We’re all grateful to have the freedom to “waste” space. In fact, we consider it a precious right and will scorn anyone who would want to limit it. I’m hoping you’re not one of those.

On a separate note, the city’s long-term viability depends on being able to attract and retain families. How can it do that without a mix of suitable housing?

the urban politician April 15, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I’m not attacking you personally, and that’s great if you and some of your friends can afford to buy 3 bedroom condos and live in them alone.

But think of those people who CANNOT afford 3 bedroom condos but want to buy into the market. What options are there for them in NIMBY-dominated areas such as the West Loop where WLCO goes out of their way to prevent developers from selling one bedrooms in their projects. I don’t see a “mix of suitable housing” being built, as you said it–I see pretty much only one type of housing available in these developments.

And I stand by my point. I’m sure your little anecdote is replicated everywhere–single individuals/couples occupying massive spaces. Sorry, but the argument that a large fleet of families are going to come in and occupy these units is nothing short of absurd.

And what irks me further is that these West Loop NIMBY’s have the nerve to demand a multimillion dollar L stop on the Green Line from the city, paid for, of course, by tax money. Yet we’ll see how they react when somebody proposes a REAL development nearby–you know, a 20 story tower with some one bedroom condos/apts–to help justify the creation of such pricy infrastructure. Lets remember this conversation we’re having now and see how things unfold.

mc April 15, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Just because a unit has 3 bedrooms doesn’t necessarily make it large. It’s not uncommon to see horrible floor plans with tiny rooms and inadequate closets.

Stokes April 15, 2009 at 10:14 AM

My wife and I are looking for a place and have no kids currently. Not particulary in a position to afford these but would like 3 bedrooms to have a small family (2 kids eventually)…it’s not that uncommon for urban dwellers like ourselves to seek out 3 bedrooms…

Joe Zekas April 15, 2009 at 10:43 AM

tup,

Last time I looked people who can’t afford a 3-bedroom in the West Loop have a staggering array of options within walking distance of the Loop and within the Loop.

Take a walk around the West Loop sometime and you’ll see a surprising number of strollers and kids. Some of those people want to stay there and raise families. These folks provide an incalculable benefit to the city and a necessary continuity to the large number of transient students in student housing and other singles / young couples.

The NIMBYs may have a point here – certainly they’re not totally beyond the pale in wanting to see more family-friendly housing in the area.

Abuyer April 15, 2009 at 1:26 PM

This isn’t River North. Its Cabrini. Nice lookin places still, and you can get a better price than if these were south of Chicago Ave. Everything screams clean from the pictures although I don’t really care for those metal plated balconies.

And who cares if they are 3 bedrooms? They are 2200 sqft! Would be nice to have a library and a den you know? Or heaven forbid if the “young couple” has a kid and doesn’t have to move to the burbs!

Stephen April 15, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Hey, I’m 23, I live in the South Loop, I don’t own a car, and I have a very good income. I plan on staying near downtown (or near the downtown of whatever major city I’m living in) for at least the next 20yrs of my life. No I can’t imagine someone who has been adjusted to suburban life with young kids moving back to the city–its too much culture shock. But there are lots of people like me with no intention of ever leaving the city and we need to have these options so that we can stay.

yoho April 15, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Well, according to city’s central area plan, near west side (ashland to 90/94) should not have too many high-rises, like ’20-story towers’. two 10-story towers in one block might work…

Stokes April 15, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Looks like frosted glass balcony rails. not metal plates…agreed on the burbs comment.

the urban politician April 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Interesting that you see so many people in strollers walking around, Joe, because every time I visit the West Loop I see…..NOBODY at all on the sidewalks.

Talking about a “mix of suitable housing” in a given neighborhood and then only having 3 bedroom condos available are 2 different things. Add that to the fact that some West Loopers like to tout their neighborhood as Chicago’s version of “SoHo” and…well, I’m confused.

Which one is it? Is it an all inclusive neighborhood that has room for the 20 something young professional who wants to buy a 1 bedroom condo as well as some families living in larger units, or are we just a neighborhood full of cranks who oppose density of any kind while paying lip service to the concept of being “hip, urban, and diverse”?

Joe Zekas April 15, 2009 at 10:03 PM

tup,

I don’t think you’d dispute that I spend a bit more time on the streets of Chicago than you do. Where are you living now?

I won’t dignify your response by taking the time to look up the links to photos of stroller moms I’ve personally taken, or been with our photographer when he took. You can go to our Flickr.com\photos\yochicago1 or \chicagohighrise accounts and look them up yourself. Check out some of our videos at YouTube. If you do, you’ll see tons of people on the streets. And lots of neighborhood kids at the school at Old St Patrick’s church.

Next, head to one of the broker sites that offers an MLS search and look at the more than 100 resale one bedrooms currently available in the West Loop. Check out the unit mix of some of the larger developments of the last 10 years.

Next time you’re in town, make a stop at Presidential Towers, which has well over 1,000 studio and 1-bedroom rentals. Check out the 480-bed student housing at Automatic Lofts and some of the nearby student housing before heading back out of town.

I think you’re ill-informed about the housing stock and the demographics of the West Loop and are arguing from an erroneous set of premises.

The West Loop already has a healthy mix. And, I repeat, family housing and housing that’s suitable for long-term living are critical to the long-term viability of a neighborhood like the West Loop.

Rant about the WLCO all you want – I’ve done it myself on occasion. At least they’re people who have some skin in the game and a commitment to the neighborhood. How many of the 1-bedroom residents fit that description?

the urban politician April 16, 2009 at 8:20 AM

I don’t dispute any of that, Joe. I can only give my own anecdotal experience–and every single time I have been to the west loop (most recently a few months ago), both day and evening, I have hardly seen hardly a soul walking around. People at the Skyscraper forums who live in Chicago have complained about the same thing.

Secondly, you’re putting words in my mouth. I never said there shouldn’t be plenty of housing for families built–I’m just skeptical about how much demand there really is for it. In many of the recent downtown condo developments the one bedrooms and studios sell out more quickly than the large, 3 bedroom units. How about letting developers follow market demand instead of the arm-twisting by community groups that lead to all these half-vacant buildings full of 3 bedroom units?

Finally, thanks for reminding me about Presidential Towers, a project built what, 20 years ago? For all practical purposes, you and I both know we’re talking about Sedler’s little paradise which happens to be west of Halsted. That is the area in contention for me, and that’s the neighborhood being treated as WLCO’s 3-bedroom only fiefdom instead of a real neighborhood with mixed housing types.

yoho April 16, 2009 at 2:01 PM

West loop will have a lot of good transportation projects in place in the coming few years. Also with more office buildings built in the area, I can see more people want to live in west loop and walk to work.

Mike February 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Joe, these were recently placed back on the market. Are these bank owned?