Earlier this month we received a media release from RMK Management‘s president, Anthony Rossi Jr, offering nine sets of questions that a prospective renter should ask every landlord or apartment manager prior to signing a lease, in order to “ensure the property is the correct fit for a renter and help prevent any issues or misunderstandings down the road.” You might keep them in mind as you conduct your home search online, too.
- When is the apartment available? Is that date negotiable? Is the apartment currently occupied?
- How much are the rent and deposit fees? Is any portion of the deposit refundable? When is rent due?
- What are the terms for renewing the lease? What are the conditions if you have to move before the lease expires? What is the policy on subletting?
- What is included, such as parking, utilities or amenities?
- Can you paint the walls or make other decorating changes?
- Will you be responsible for any property maintenance? Is there an office onsite or a 24-hour phone number in case of emergencies?
- How is garbage removal handled? Is recycling available?
- Is the apartment pet-friendly? How does the landlord handle rule violations? Be sure to ask for a copy of the rules and regulations.
- Can you speak with a current tenant to get their impressions of the apartment complex?
What would you add to this list?