They go by many names: townhomes, rowhomes, attached single-families. I prefer the catch-all “townhouses” for this type of multi-story home, the kind of units that is more than a duplex condo but still shares a structure and a lot with other homes.
In the Loop / downtown area (a region we define as the area bounded by Lake Michigan, Western Avenue, the Stevenson Expressway and North Avenue), we’ve come across six developments where townhouses are for sale. Not surprisingly, the $1 million-plus homes are in two of downtown’s highest-profile areas: the wealthy Gold Coast neighborhood, and the Lakeshore East mega-development on the New East Side.
According to Yo posts and our NewHomeNotebook.com database, the least expensive homes are on the western fringes of downtown, where a couple of 2200 Madison‘s 18 townhouses are still for available for below $400,000. Homes everywhere else appear to start around the mid-$400s and work their way up. Not counting the aforementioned Gold Coast homes, the only four-bedroom townhouses available in the area are those at Belgravia Group‘s Union Row (pictured above), where prices top out in the $700s.
What do you think about these (down)townhouses ? Click on “Rate and review” to post your thoughts on NewHomeNotebook.com.
- Union Row, 1600 S Union Ave: 10 three- and four-bedroom townhouses priced from the $540s to the $700s (Rate and review)
- Townhomes of Distinction, 1003 – 1017 N Dearborn St: Two four- and five-bedroom townhouses priced from $1.85 million to $3.25 million (Rate and review)
Near West Side:
- 2200 Madison, 2200 W Madison St: Two three-bedroom townhouses priced from the $370s to the $390s (Rate and review)
New East Side:
- Parkhomes at Lakeshore East, 430 E Waterside St: 15 three-bedroom townhouses priced from $1.6 million to $2.5 million (Rate and review)
- Parkside of Old Town, 465 W Division St: 72 two- and three-bedroom townhouses priced from the $490s to the $750s (Rate and review)
- Roosevelt Square, 1200 W Roosevelt Rd: 38 two- and three-bedroom townhouses priced from the $430s to the $970s (Rate and review)
- Ivy Hall at University Village, 1440 S Halsted St: 31 two- and three-bedroom townhouses priced from the $550s (Rate and review)
Keep an eye out for another list compiling all of the townhouse projects on the North, Far North, Northwest, West, Southwest and South sides.