Today’s “just for the fun of it” search: the priciest condos with three or more bedrooms, located on or near the lake in the major lakeside neighborhoods north of the Chicago River. The seven homes representing the top of their individual markets (and one that leads the entire city in pricing) are:
- Streeterville: Unit #2701 at 445 E North Water St (seen in the video above): $4.89 million for a 5,500 square-foot three-bedroom / three-bath home in a 99-unit tower. The home features custom millwork, Bose surround sound, three fireplaces, wide-plank hardwood floors, a master suite with 14-foot ceiling heights, and two parking spaces. Monthly assessments are $2,415; 2008 taxes were $27,331.
- Gold Coast: Unit #8WNE at 65 E Goethe St: $14 million for a 12,000 square-foot six-bedroom / 7.5-bath in a 15-unit co-op building. The unit has exposures in all four directions, six (six!) parking spots, and a 3,000 square-foot roof deck. Monthly assessments are $11,365; 2007 taxes were $28,085.
- Lincoln Park: Unit #4 at 2450 N Lakeview Ave: $7.6 million for an 8,000 square-foot five-bedroom / 5.5-bath home in a Howard Van Doren Shaw-designed 12-unit co-op building. The unit features parquet floors, limestone countertops, a restored butler’s pantry, four wood-burning fireplaces, three storage rooms, and private parking. Monthly assessments of $4,767; 2007 taxes were $74,580.
- Lake View: Unit #9AB at 3314 N Lake Shore Dr: $1.65 million for a three-bedroom / 3.5-bath home inside a 29-story building. The unit features preserved and restored original details, an oval dining room, a living room with fireplace, a family room with bay, one parking space, and 65 feet of windows overlooking the lake. Monthly assessments of $2,356; 2008 taxes were $9,016.
- Uptown: Unit #3 at 645 W Bittersweet Pl: $485,000 for a 1,650 square-foot three-bedroom / two-bath home in a gut-rehab three-flat. The unit features two decks, hardwood floors, stained glass, granite countertops, 42-inch cabinets, stainless steel appliances, marble baths, a master-bath Jacuzzi and separate shower, laundry, and parking. Monthly assessments of $225; no tax information available yet.
- Edgewater: Unit #1603 at 5555 N Sheridan Rd: $719,000 for a three-bedroom / 3.5-bath home in the Edgewater Beach Apartments co-op building. The unit features formal living and dining rooms, a family / theater room, eat-in kitchen, restored baths, and refinished hardwood floors. Monthly assessments of $2,356; 2007 taxes were $4,703.
- Rogers Park: Unit #1-O at 1200 W Sherwin Ave: $725,000 for a 1,650 square-foot three-bedroom / two-bath home at the 27-unit Breakers rehab. The unit features new central air, electric, plumbing, windows, and roof, a wood-burning fireplace, a 5,000 square-foot veranda overlooking the lake, a two-car garage, and kayak and sailboat storage. The building also has a private beach. Monthly assessments of $462; 2008 taxes were $8,100.