We define Chicago’s “near west” neighborhoods to include the West Loop, Fulton River District and River West. You’ll find all of your major apartment options in these neighborhoods on our at-a-glance list of downtown apartments.
Our goal is to help you find the apartment that best fits your needs. Renters simply have so many differing priorities – and budget constraints – that singling out an overall best building would be a pointless exercise.
Our first posts in this series spotlighted the buildings with the best views, most convenient grocery shopping, and the best access to public transit, parks, the expressway grid, the Loop, and Dining and nightlife.
If close proximity to retail shopping is one of your priorities you’ll want to consider a different neighborhood. The near west neighborhoods have small pockets of boutiques and galleries, but they’re largely a retail desert.
Chime in with a comment if you disagree with our selections.
You’ll find links to our objective, visually-rich apartment reviews of near west buildings, and links to near real-time availability checks for most of the buildings, at our downtown apartments at-a-glance list, and some tips and advice at our Guide to renting in Chicago’s near west neighborhoods.
Next topic: Affordability.
- Chicago’s best West Loop / Near West apartments – grocery shopping
- Chicago’s best West Loop / Near West apartments – Dining and nightlife
- Chicago’s best West Loop / Near West apartments – Walk to Loop
- Chicago’s best West Loop / Near West apartments – Expressway access
- Chicago’s best West Loop / Near West apartments – parks and beaches